Hi all –
Now that Drift is a Digital First company and so many of us are still working from home (and will continue to do so in the months and years to come) I thought I’d repost this one from the archives because it is REALLY important.
TLDR; Avoid calling a meeting 98% of the time. For the 2% of the time where you still think a meeting is needed see my thoughts below and the recommended tips from others.
As our companies get bigger and more complex, there’s a tendency for people to feel the need to call for more meetings. I believe it is dangerous, subtle and unless we fight against this tendency it will lead to creating a bureaucratic, slow-moving company.
Please work hard to avoid meetings. Question if we can do it without a meeting, push back when invited to a meeting, and excuse yourself from a meeting if you feel it is not useful.
Here are my thoughts on meetings:
- Seeking Wisdom #51: How To Run A Meeting
- Seeking Wisdom #57: How We Do Internal Communication At Drift
Recommended tips from others (remember to avoid meetings 98% of the time and use these tips for the remaining 2% of the time):
- Running effective meetings: a guide for humans (Atlassian)
- Jeff Bezos Knows How to Run a Meeting. Here’s How He Does It (Inc)
- Google Chair Eric Schmidt’s 8 Rules For Running A Great Meeting (Business Insider)
For the meetings that are necessary, how do you ensure they’re productive? Text me at +1-212-380-1036 to let me know.
P.S. Here’s what I’m reading right now
5 Interesting Learnings from UiPath at $600,000,000 in ARR
What we have to learn from one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies of all time. Read Jason Lemkin’s thoughts here.
5 Reasons Why Account-Based Experience (ABX) Matters
Customer-centric thinking is critical to ABM success. Here’s how to get there.
The Go-to-Market Guide to Drift
Unify revenue teams, personalize digital experiences, and shorten your sales cycles. Learn how with this guide from Drift.